I have been editing fiction and non-fiction since 1988 with writers as far flung as Beijing, Bangkok, Sydney, Sofia, Stockholm, London, and Johannesburg. I selectively work with doctoral candidates and academic writers in many fields.
The heart of my work is the collaboration with clients. I inquire with them to locate the passion behind their content, and to put it in the context of what is reasonable in the current state of the publishing industry. I preserve or amplify their distinctive voice to produce writing that is clear, coherent, and engaging.
I encourage outlining to develop logical structure, and strive for lively, efficient language. I draw on my compassion, counseling skills, and imagination to bring forth the brilliance of both the writing and the collaborative relationship, with a constant focus on helping writers develop their craft.
WORKING IN MANY GENRES // SPECIALIZING IN LITERARY FICTION, NON-FICTION, AND MEMOIR
See recent projects
COLLABORATING IN PERSON, BY PHONE, AND EMAIL
with kindness, clarity, humor, patience, timeliness, and firm costs.
HELPING WRITERS REACH THEIR AUDIENCE AND PERFECT THEIR CRAFT
SUCCESSFUL WRITING NEEDS
Vibrant voice – distinctive speech pattern of narrator/characters
Rich language that is engaging and efficient
and appropriate to content and audience
Great design (front and back cover, and interior)
What you need to know to write a book:
• What your passion is: including how you want to impact your reader
• Who your (paying) audience is: what level of writing will appeal to them
• How you will reach them: a marketing plan (can wait for now, maybe)
• How much you need to teach them and what they already know
• How to engage your reader’s empathy through setting and context
• How to map the content: a detailed outline will speed the writing
• How to work with blocks: silencing or outrunning your inner critic
• Where to verify information: the internet (though untrustworthy)
• How to write well: there are many books and classes on writing and self-editing
Where to Begin
Write your back cover content
Specifies your commitment to yourself and your reader
Helps keep you on track as you write
Develop a detailed outline or mindmap
Read more on the How An Editor Can Help page
Stanislav Grof, MD
Clear, concise, efficient, timely, and a real pleasure to work with. David quickly finds what is germane and brings it forward to crisp simplicity.
Jack Kornfield, PhD
David’s work is terrific. He is well organized, thoughtful, creative and skillful. It’s a pleasure to recommend him.
Laura Davis, Author, Writing Teacher
David is one of the most genuine people I have ever met. He is incredible with people, great at handling details and is masterfully efficient. David has great insight and wisdom about life, human growth and human beings, yet is one of the humblest people I have ever met. He is a fine writer as well.