SPECIALIZING IN LITERARY FICTION, NON-FICTION, AND MEMOIR
I have a passion for projects that connect our human hearts, delight our natural curiosity, and reveal the beauty and cultural diversity of our world. I love immigrant stories, magical realism, cultural contrasts, historical moments, spirituality, transpersonal psychology, self-help, academic themes for a general audience. (Scifi, romance, thrillers, etc. if literary, unique and inspiring.)
See recent projects on the About David page.
Every Successful Book Needs:
Logical connection between concepts
Cohesive, intriguing storyline
Originality and imagination in both content and writing
Value to the reader
Vibrant voice – the distinctive speech pattern of narrator/characters
Rich language that is engaging and efficient
Appropriate to content and reader
Consistent grammar and punctuation (does not mean by the rules)
Engaging and efficient language
with kindness, clarity, humor, patience, timeliness, and firm costs
Working by phone, email, and in-person with clients as far-flung as Beijing, Johannesburg, Sydney, Sofia, London, Stockholm, and around the USA.
What you need to know to write a book:
• What your passion is: including how you want to impact your reader
• Who your (paying) audience is: what level of writing will appeal to them
• How you will reach them: a marketing plan (can wait for now, maybe)
• How much you need to teach them and what they already know
• How to engage your reader’s empathy through setting and context
• How to map the content: a detailed outline will speed the writing
• How to work with blocks: silencing or outrunning your inner critic
• Where to verify information: the internet (though untrustworthy)
• How to write well: there are many books and classes on writing and self-editing
Where to Begin
Write your back cover content
Specifies your commitment to yourself and your reader
Helps keep you on track as you write
Develop a detailed outline or mindmap
Read more on the How An Editor Can Help page
Find me on GOOGLE+
Stanislav Grof, MD
Clear, concise, efficient, timely, and a real pleasure to work with. David quickly finds what is germane and brings it forward to crisp simplicity.
Jack Kornfield, PhD
David’s work is terrific. He is well organized, thoughtful, creative and skillful. It’s a pleasure to recommend him.
Laura Davis, Author, Writing Teacher
David is one of the most genuine people I have ever met. He is incredible with people, great at handling details and is masterfully efficient. David has great insight and wisdom about life, human growth and human beings, yet is one of the humblest people I have ever met. He is a fine writer as well.